Friday, December 25, 2009

Today: A Review

Merry Christmas! This post will probably not be as philosophical as the past two (if they've even been philosophical)...I'm trying to focus on the positive! As Sara Groves' lyrics say:

And I just showed up for my own life
And I'm standing here taking it in and it sure looks bright

I'm going to live my life inspired
Look for the holy in the common place
Open the windows and feel all that's honest and real until I'm truly amazed

It's my mission for 2010.

Anyway, today was a great day. One of the best Christmases, even amid the many idiosyncrasies in this year's schedule. Here is a list of the presents I got:

- NRSV Study Bible
- Bible Commentary
- New Strand of Pearls
- Monogrammed Umbrella
- Brown Snow Boots
- Balderdash

...and other knick-knacks and gadgets. After we opened presents, we had breakfast featuring the Christian family tradition of breakfast casserole. After 21 years of eating it, I've realized that I'm not so much a fan. I'm not so much a fan of casseroles in general. C'est la vie!

My mom wasn't in a very good mood this morning and I think it was because she was ashamed that she didn't have hundreds of dollars of presents for me...that's so silly. I wanted to remind her that the time that we spend together is so much more important than anything wrapped in overpriced wrapping paper that will eventually be ripped to shreds or than bows that took 15 minutes to construct and 15 seconds to destroy.

I'm also blessed to be able to spend time with both of my grandmothers - both of whom are in their 80's and have nothing to complain about other than slight hearing loss and tired knees. I pray that those are my only health issues when I'm 83 years old. I love them and they have both taught me so much in life, but I'm sure I will inevitably regret not spending more time with them. My paternal grandmother has a college education, is a world traveler, and missionary; my maternal grandmother is a retired librarian, fabulous cook, and fashionista. They are seemingly the antitheses of each other, but they both love me and their families all the same.

I've rambled, and it's nearing bedtime, and, after Iron Chef goes off, that's where I'll be going. I hope you enjoyed your Christmas as much as I enjoyed mine. I hope you enjoyed your family today as much as I enjoyed mine. And I hope you remembered Christ the baby, who today is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment