Monday, December 28, 2009

Some depth, some humor, some in between...

So today was a great day. We got to church right at 10:50 for the 10:55 service, only to find out that the service had actually started at 10:30. The sermon was excellent though. It was all about how we are pure in heart and how God has forgiven us our sins - including the ones we have yet to commit. That is comforting. Obviously it shouldn't be permission to go out and sin, but it is "insurance" so that if it does happen, we're "covered" (did I just make a sappy biblical virtue/insurance reference...).

In my devotion from last night, I read about the different christian symbols for Jesus. Symbols such as the cross or communion, and how these symbols have the power to stir emotions that we did not know existed. As I think about this now, I am reminded of the worship service we had 2 years ago in Buffalo, NY on our mission trip. At the end of the week, the team leaders washed the hands of all of their workers - representative of Jesus' washing of the disciples' feet. I remember being so moved by this act and can only imagine how the disciples must have felt in the moment that Jesus, their Lord and Savior, was on his knees washing their feet.

Anyway, I say all of this to say that I am very glad I live for the God I live for. Ever forgiving and ever present. I just hope that I can do the same. When I don't hear from God, don't blame it on God, understand that I must find God in a different way; and the best way to do that is to be forever in a state of worship.

1 comment:

  1. hi stist. love your blog. you should read some henri nouwen -- he's all about finding some holy in the commonplace.

    ReplyDelete